John Hastens Blaylock and Family (ca 1894 and 1900)
Top Row (L-R): Uncle Bill Blaylock, Jim Blaylock, Andy Blaylock, Jake Pickle, Green Blaylock
Seated (L-R): Aunt Lilia Blaylock, Susan Pickle, Jane Aikens, John Blaylock, Lindy Blaylock, Clem Blaylock
The picture is a tintype from Myrtice Ray’s collection. Myrtice was my great grandmother and the daughter of Jake and Susan Pickle in the picture. Sometime around 1980 Myrtice identified all of the people in the picture for me. The names used in this pieces are the ones as given to me by Myrtice.
John Hastens Blaylock is thought to be a son of Robert Anderson Blaylock and Pheba Rimmer. He was born on July 1, 1824 and died May 17, 1904. He is buried in the Blaylock Cemetery located on the line between Lamar County, Alabama and Monroe County, Mississippi. John Hastens married Malinda Ray on August 24, 1848. Malinda, a daughter of David Ray and Susan Pickle, was born in January of 1827 and died on January 16, 1914. She is buried in Blaylock Cemetery.
The children of John Hastens and Malinda were:
1) Elizabeth Jane Blaylock Born 1849
2) Greenberry Blaylock Born 1851
3) Susan Elizabeth Blaylock Born 1856
4) Johnnie E. Blalock Born 1858
5) Nancy Catherine Blaylock Born 1858
6) Malinda Mary Ann Blaylock Born 1862
7) William Haston “Uncle Bill” Blaylock Born 1866
8) James “Jim” Blaylock Born 1868
9) Lela Clementine “ Clem” Blaylock Born 1870
10 Daniel Andrew “Andy” Blaylock Born 1874